View Single Post
Old 2014-03-01, 08:31 PM
meow.

Re: hendrix vinyl transfer "hells session"

I'm too tired to try and make actual sense of this right now, so I'll just point out some of the things I see for now:
  • The block-aligned variable lowpass with its strong tendency towards cutting off at 15 kHz has "psychoacoustics-based lossy compression" written all over it.
  • The spectrogram generally looks ATRAC-ish to me (the structure of the cutoff, but also the smeared clicks)
  • However, the temporal resolution of the cutoff looks a bit too fine for ATRAC (might be me being rusty, or due to the generally low volume of the treble content in the sample, which makes the variable lowpassing less obvious than usual, too)
  • The noise floor seems pretty high for a straight transfer from MD. (analog transfer from MD deck, possibly at low levels and volume was corrected afterwards, amplifying noise?)
  • The clicks do suggest vinyl in the lineage.
  • Some clicks are affected by smearing, while others seem not to be. (dumb windowing luck on the codec side? or maybe even vinyl > MD > vinyl, as implausible as that sounds?)

The attached pic might be better suited to illustrating these points than the one I previously posted.

Going by experience, gut feeling, and common sense, I'd guess "vinyl > MD, then analog transfer to HDD" but that's really just rusty me guessing wildly.
Attached Images
File Type: png Hendrix Hells Session 2.png
( 706.4 KB, 64 views)

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes