View Single Post
Old 2007-04-10, 02:45 PM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP

Re: speed limit (not imposed by cable provider)

I think I said this in at least 2 of the PMs I sent you, but the point of making a lineage as best you can is to at least have a "version" of the show to use as a reference. Yes, all that other information is nice and is useful to many people, but the lineage (along with md5s) are what allow you to be sure you are getting the EXACT copy of the DVD. If there is a deviation from this "vague-lineaged" version, then that may indicate that the files have been corrupted, it has been reauthored, or is it a version with a more definite lineage, who knows?

And attempting to implement a standardized format for lineages will make it that much easier for downloaders to get the crucial info about the show. Maybe they already have a copy and want to know if this one is an upgrade, or what. Including the prose of "I got this from Glen Quagmire, he's got some sweet JGB shows from when he was on tour in '86" is fine, but a specific lineage is necessary, and very easy to do. We have posted sample lineages to which you should try and mold your info. It's probably from a VHS (proshot/AUD?; audio: SBD/AUD/MTX/?; etc), is it standalone/authored?, etc, etc. All of these questions are easy to answer and before you know it you have a proper lineage and seed. Whadda ya know?