View Single Post
Old 2004-12-18, 11:08 AM
What'cha Got There?

Re: Copying a DVD with a VIDEO_RM folder

Wow, what a learning experience this was...only slightly painful and I'm very glad that the rewritable DVD was invented or I'd be a lot poorer.

Hate to say this, but the disc(s) I got would not play consistantly for me. The one that still had the video_rm folder on it had the most problems, but at least the one you redid was seen by my standalone when on the menus, but would freeze up when trying to actually play the show.

Anyways, I tried a couple different ways to "fix" either disc and won't go into the multiple attempts that failed...

...other than I couldn't even get DVD Shrink to successfully open either...

...what did finally work is this:

-Ripped the video_ts folder over from the first disc you sent me (the one that still had the video_rm folder on it) using DVDCrypter with the instructions in this thread: http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t218724.html

-After ripping the vobs, I wasn't able to get Nero/DVD Shrink/DVDCrypter to successfully load them for a burn...I then found out that the IFO(s) weren't ripped, so I tried copying them from the original video_ts folder on the disc, and then got a message about the file structure being messed up. Doing some reading it sounds like the standalone that created this disc creates a "bad" IFO (something about it duplicating the pointers to the files?) Tried IFOEdit,...and gave up on that about five minutes later as something that I can go back to if I ever want to learn more than I need to know at this point...

-I decided to use TMPEC DVD Author to just redo the entire disc from scratch. I read in a different thread that vobs, that have been ripped in the way that I did, sometimes have "pauses" in the final output where the vobs are joined on the DVD, I used this program (http://www.peretek.com/sfj.php) to join all the vobs into one big one.

-I loaded this one vob into TMPEC DVD Author, set new chapter marks, new menu, output everything and then burned off a disc. Loaded it into my standalone player...success!....tried it on a couple computers as well as two DVD players at a friends house with no hitches.

I did an A/B comparison between the disc I made and the vobs I received on the original disc (used WInDVD to play them through my bigscreen) and can't see any differences between the two, so I'm gonna call this a winner for me. I could go back and try to make the menus a bit nicer,..but, ah, they work 'cause I can get to where I need.

Might not work for everyone in every situation, and if the original DVD had been authored in a professional style I may have tried something different to keep all those bells and whistles but in this case it worked out better as I was able to insert my own chapters where I wanted them.

...it's bad juju how a standalone can create such a messed up disc....I couldn't get one of my computers to even recognize the disc when it was in the drive.

Bluesky22 - this certainly isn't a dig at you and I hope this helps you copy any other discs you have that are similiar. I've never dealt with a DVD like this before so it's a good learning experience (at least that's what I tell myself).
I'm certainly enjoying the show now that I'm able to watch it easily. Thanks for sending it my way