View Single Post
Old 2005-08-07, 11:25 AM
dare to discover

Re: DVD Trading Burning?

Interesting. I never heard of any degradation from extracting a disc burned as video. Now what if you made an image of the whole disc and copied it? Trade DVDs are obviously small enough to do this with so you really don't need to rip it then burn it. Well I usually do since I won't archive it without an md5 and txt file with all info on it and too many times it doesn't come with anything like this.
Which leads to this..
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisistoto
Yea some people will want you to burn them the text file and md5's, so you are pretty much burning them a data disc via DVD. Most DVD traders dont require this, so I wouldnt fret about it too much.
Sorry Toto but I couldn't disagree with you more. I think it's imperative that you trade with md5 and txt. Same as an "audio" show, it lets you know you have the disc in it's original state and tells you the source and lineage, which is very important. That's why they're required on this site for uploads. Unfortunately a lot of people don't include this stuff. Then when I archive a DVD I have to go look up the info and try to find out where it came from, how was it transferred etc... what a waste of time. It's just like in any situation there's going to be people who are sticklers for things to be done to a certain standard and include all the pertinent info and there's going to be people who are slack and don't care. Like the difference between The Trader's Den and Dime. It's about how much you care about quality.

And yes, as Aaron said, although he said some and I'll bump it up to most standalone players will play the disc with the extras outside of it. Just make sure yours does first and if you're trading ask the person if they know if theirs does or not.

Oh and last but not least... NEVER be sorry for asking a question about how to do things. Be proud that you care about it!

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes