Thread: Storage
View Single Post
Old 2009-03-27, 07:59 AM
On the Beach

Re: Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinajoe View Post
so which hard drive would be the best to use for long-term storing?

i try to burn several copies of every master in several formats (raw wav, flac)
before i transfer it to the hard drive. then which dvd would be the best to use for long term storage?

one can always store stuff on the original memory card, but how long
will it last?
all hard drives die - its just a matter of when.
why do you store in multiple formats? i dont get that one.
a billion people will tell you TY discs are the only way to go & people pay extra $$ for them. others swear by burn speeds (slower = better).
there are plenty of industry experts () that will tell you all burned discs suffer from the dye 'decomposing' - burned media looses its structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmachine View Post
What do you do with the hard drive once it is full. Do you leave it connected to your machine or do you disconnect it and store it in a box?.

Does anyone know how long will data survive on a drive once it is full and turned off?.
if you disconnect a hard drive it has no reason to fail - but it still could (gremlins, sun spots, bad luck)
if there were a perfect solution we wouldn't be talking about it.

why I prefer hard drives:
I had a stack of hard drives with archive info from 1995 >2000.
these drives were 'super massive' 20GB/40GB drives.
purchased a $100 drive off the shelf > transfer of all drives only took a few hours > simplified archive.

lets say you have 1000 DVD-R/CDR discs.. and they are 5 - 8yrs old..what are you gonna do?
it would probably take less time to redownload your entire collection than to reburn them + dealing with CRC errors + media cost ..etc..etc.

if vladsmythe is reading this, I'd love to hear what he's going to do with his house of discs.. he would need a second lifetime to deal with his 10,000 cd-rs.

3TB and 6TB hard discs are right around the corner..entire collections can soon be archived to one drive & it will only get better.
Or as others have suggested - dont even try..if you lose it/download it again. pretty good advice, imo.

my morning 2¢ thoughts - everyone has to figure this problem out for themselves.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes