View Single Post
Old 2009-01-03, 09:15 PM

Re: What computer hardware/software to use to get cassete to computer?

audacity (free software) will perform perfectly well and for soundcard something like m-audio audiophile 2496 will give excellent results for about $120.

with audacity the only tricky bit is to set the bit depth and sample rate in the preferences before you start (should be 16bit/44.1kHz unless you want to get fancy and go 24bit), then you set levels using windows mixer (normally available in the tray, lower-right) to avoid clipping. unless you really know what you're doing and have proper monitors its best to avoid eq and stuff, even if you do know what you're doing its best to keep a raw copy on file (take it from me, I've made mistakes overeqing and throwing away raw copies years back...).

I don't have experience with a high end deck like the nak dragon, but one thing I heard about that one is that it is a good idea to get an auto-azimuth kill switch mod done. the deck is brilliant the way it automatically finds the correct azimuth, but once it finds the setting you can't stop it from adjusting and re-adjusting during playback, which is annoying...

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes