View Single Post
Old 2005-03-26, 05:08 AM
TTD Staff

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedate-ed
I believe I may have discovered a bug/conflict with the Trader's Little Helper program. I am running Windows XP-SP2 (fully patched) and also running the Cygwin X-Server for Windows (open-source application to run X-based applications in a Win32 environment). The TLH installer puts its "cygwin1.dll" file in the "Windows" directory. With this file present, the Cygwin X-server will not start. Cygwin X-server uses "cygwin1.dll" version 1005.12.0.0, and it is located (by default) in the "cygwin\bin" folder.

Now for me, I am able to work around this issue, by running TLH on another PC on my home network. Great program, haven't run across any functionality issues with the program itself! It would be nice to able to run it on my main PC also.

I am running the latest version of TLH, BTW.

Sedate-ed
Trader's Little Helper doesn't need/use cygwin1.dll, but shorten and shntool (which are called by Trader's Little Helper for some functionality) will not run if cygwin1.dll is not installed. So the version of cygwin1.dll which comes with the latest shorten/shntool releases is included in the setup file for Trader's Little Helper. This "original DLL" is version 1005.9.0.0. Most likely there is a conflict with this one year old version because Cygwin X-Server installs/needs an updated one.

I've run some tests with shorten/shntool using the newest version of cygwin1.dll (1005.13.0.0). Seems everything is fine. So the following workaround should solve your problem: Just copy (not move) the version of cygwin1.dll which comes with Cygwin X-Server from your "cygwin\bin" folder to the "Windows" directory (so the version Trader's Little Helper had installed will be replaced).

Please let me know whether or not this works.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes