View Single Post
Old 2005-11-25, 06:24 AM

Re: How do you set up a static IP address

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmachine
First of all thanks to all who replied, especially u2Lynne for the instructions on Static IP's.

I have just one machine connected to the BT Voyager 205 router on broadband and I have no problems using BitTorrent.

I am trying to use Soulseek and the instructions on Portforward.com say that I need to set up a Static Ip address before I can forward the ports.

I never shut down my machine and always leave it on sleep.

Since i do not shutdown the machine I presume that my Ip address does not change. Do i therefore need to set up a Static IP, before i can forward the ports?.

Thanks once again for all your help
Ok first you do not need a static IP to forward ports. Go ahead and get your ports forwarded as per router instructions from portforward.com.
What happens is when your ISP changes your IP address you will need to re forward your ports with the new address UNLESS you have a static IP.
Clearly it happens when you reboot and the computer looks for an IP address so less often if 'on all time'
I am with pipex in the UK who will sell me a static IP for a higher monthly package. Actually up to 8 !!
I was PMed a great deal of good info on this all when I joined here and I have done the same. Any questions give me a shout
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes