View Single Post
Old 2005-07-12, 06:00 AM
You are TOO

Re: Audio cd-rs with Data stored on them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1
It doesn't matter what I insert in the DVD ROM. It reads nothing. Doesn't spin or anything.
Windows is good for giving generic error messages. Microsoft thinks we're all dummies. You say it doesn't spin. that means it's not getting power or a signal to make it spin up. Try reseating the IDE cable and the power cable, but before you re-insert the IDE, make sure there are no bent/missing pins on the drive. You'll see what looks like a missing pin in the middle in one row, but that's supposed to be like that. Any other missing pins would indicate one has broken off. I've seen pins bent/broken when people get careless and fumble with the connector until it connects. You have to watch what you're doing carefully (not that you didin't ).

After checking the hardware, check the software - namely the drivers. Did you install the correct drivers for that drive? Since it works with the original 98 and not XP on the old computer, and also not on the new computer, I'd say the wrong/missing drivers are the culprit. XP is good at having a lot of drivers or universal drivers already available, but it can't/doesn't have them all. You should be able to get the drivers from your original 98 CD that came with the computer. If not, I'm sure they can be found online. Let me know if you need to find them and I'll see what I can do.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes