View Single Post
Old 2006-04-30, 10:19 AM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP

Re: No More Super Seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi420
I use superseeding when there are less than 1.0 distributed copies available, so that I'm not sending out redundant information out. When I superseed, my share ratio and amount uploaded more closely match and therefore I can finish the uploading process quicker.
The problem is that your client actually stops and waits for the piece to be distributed to everyone before sending out the next one. Last time I seeded a show, I noticed my upload was actually at zero for significant amounts of time. My upload speeds are really fast so that's just slowing down the whole thing. After I turned off superseed things sped up a lot. But I had probably uploaded 10 gigs before the first person got a complete copy.

So I guess my take-home from this is that if you have a good upload speed superseed is counterproductive but if your speed is slower (so that you uploading the new piece takes as long as it takes for that piece to be distributed) then it works best probably, especially when you can't afford, timewise and bandwidth-wise, to upload 10 gigs in order to get a 4 gig torrent out.