View Single Post
Old 2008-03-25, 01:12 AM
Tubular

Problems burning dual layer DVDs

I've been having some trouble burning dual layer DVDs. Initially I used Nero, and while it would burn and verify OK, sometimes it would change the .IFO and .BUP files and the menus wouldn't work properly. So I switched to ONES v2.0.330, and at first the discs would burn and verify OK and play fine. Then I started to have problems with the DL discs burning and verifying with ONES (they would fail verification right away and eject). The DL discs wouldn't play in my standalone, and most of the files on the DL disc burned with ONES were altered, including most .VOB files (they wouldn't match the original md5 if I ripped it back to the HD using windows or DVD decrypter). Does anybody know what is going on and why ONES would alter the files and/or otherwise screw up the burn? I see an update at the ONES site. Will that help? I think I started to have problems with ONES after I did a Nero update, so I uninstalled both Nero and ONES, then reinstalled ONES. This didn't fix the problem, I still had problems burning DLs with ONES. I stopped burning DLs for a while until recently. I was able to successfully burn 3 DL discs with ONES (they verified OK and play fine in standalones). Then I coastered 2 DL discs in a row as my problems burning with ONES reappeared. I decided to give IMG Burn a shot, which was seemingly burning the DL disc fine until the lead out, at which point it failed.

The discs I've been using are Verbatim DVD+R DL. I always burn DL discs at 2.4X speed. I always restart the computer before every burn and have no other programs running besides the burning app. and a couple tray items (like AVG antivirus) when I burn. Windows Disk Defragmenter says I don't need to defragment my drive right now. The computer itself is getting old and is kind of a POS: 800 MHz Pentium III, 256 MB RAM, Windows XP Home. Drive is a Lite-On slim type for laptops.

Is there a way to burn a DVD-Video disc in Nero without the chance that it will alter any .IFO and .BUP files? I tried ISO mode in Nero burning ROM and my standalone couldn't read the disc, although it burned and verified OK and played fine on my PC.

I should add that I have no trouble at all burning single layer DVDs with ONES in data mastering mode or record VIDEO_TS mode, and I burn them all the time. A single layer disc I burned recently with ONES got a 93 score in Nero DiscSpeed > Disc Quality with these stats:
Attached Images
File Type: png SlimtypeDVDRW_SSW-8015S_HSU1_24-March-2008_18_14.png
( 19.1 KB, 189 views)

Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes