View Single Post
Old 2007-07-19, 06:12 PM

Re: organization/archiving methods (dvd, db, etc).

Thanks for the replies! I got some good ideas now. I do like leaving the structure of the download (rip, whatever) in place and archiving the files. I never thought of it!

I'll give that "WhereIsIt" a try. I'm all for any automation I can get. I sure haven't been able to find anything like it in the unix world. Probably didn't use the right search pattern...

As far as ListMaker goes, it's now free. I may or may not need something like that as I have cygwin on that pc and my unix box access those directories and I can get perl to generate lists. Still, it's amazing how difficult it is to get a directory listing into a file using just windows, much less decorating the list. I don't even know how, except maybe dropping into dos.

I expected to see more sql flavored apps made with music collecting and trading in mind, but in my searches, I couldn't get the wheat out of all the chaff, if you know what I mean. There is db.etree and tapetrader where they will store your collection, but the collection already needs to be in some containerized format, with the ability to export various data as required.

There seem to be a few solutions for cataloging commercial music - ie CDs. But those access freedb or use a upc bar code and scan amazon or some other cd store for a hit and they don't seem to be geared towards shows.

-jim
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes