View Single Post
Old 2005-08-19, 10:19 AM
TTD Staff

Re: Capturing Video from VHS > DVD

from the FAQ:
Quote:
7. Audio ripped from an MPEG video or DVD is not permitted.
All digital video codecs use lossy audio compression schemes, and therefore audio extracted from an MPEG video or DVD is not permitted for seeding here. The exception to this rule is that DVDs which have been authored with uncompressed LPCM audio are allowed to have the audio stream extracted, compressed to a lossless format, and seeded. This rule does not apply to audio taken from VHS sources, which is permitted with the caveat that no cleaner or higher fidelity version circulates. Audio from VCD and SVCD sources is explicitly prohibited as it uses MPEG layer 2 compression, a less complex form of the shunned mp3 codec. Note that ac3 Dolby Digital audio is also lossy in comparison to the original uncompressed version, and is likewise prohibited for audio-only seeding at The Traders Den.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylz
I'm transferring them to DVD like this. My university has these dumping machines in the edit suites, not sure what they're called or what the make/model is (I can find out). Basically I pop the VHS into the machine which is connected to a PC via firewire and I capture video in Adobe Premiere Pro v1.5. The format I capture in is uncompressed AVI... I'll hafta check it out but I'm pretty sure it would be PCM 44khz or whatever. I'll confirm this when I have my first attempt if need be.
*sounds* like its a pro-editing machine, so you'll get much better quality than with say a $100 VCR... without make/model, i'm not positive, but thats what i'm guessing.

Quote:
for case 1 ripping to audio
type of camera > VHS(M) > firewire > AVI (capture device and premiere pro) > WAV (export wav in premiere pro) > FLAC > CDR(1)
i personally prfer to split lineage into "Source" and "Transfer"...for the above, it would be something like:

SOURCE: AUD CameraMake/Model > VHS(M)
TRANSFER: VHS(M) > "DumpingMachine" Make/Model > firewire > Premiere Pro > wav > "program used to create the flacs" > flac

Quote:
for case 2 ripping to audio
camera > miniDV(M) > VHS(1) > firewire > AVI (capture device and premiere pro) > WAV (export wav in premiere pro) > FLAC > CDR(1)
SOURCE: AUD CameraMake/Model > miniDV(M)
TRANSFER: miniDV(M) > ? > VHS(1) > "DumpingMachine" Make/Model > firewire > Premiere Pro > wav > "program used to create the flacs" > flac

the "?" above can be filled in if you know the steps taken to go from miniDV>VHS(1)...otherwise, just leave a "?".

for trading purposes, i would leave it in data format [in this case flac] and don't forget to create checksums for the flacs and included a detailed info text.

hope this helps...yer planning on seeding this in DVD format tho, and not just audio right?