View Single Post
Old 2005-09-21, 07:01 AM
TTD Staff

Re: Vinyl analogue to FLAC transfers

first off, ALOT of the LZ vinyl boots are in circulation, so you might wanna find out if these have already been transferred to lossless first. as to a good website/database, i'm unsure, other than db.etree...i'll see if i can find out some LZ specific sites and post back here

Quote:
Originally Posted by alg
1 Should I use software to 'clean up' recordings? If yes what have people had experience with
NO, unless its only for personal use only...alot of audio progs have Noise Reduction, Pop/Click removal, etc, but they will *wreck* your recording...unless yer an *experienced* engineer with lots of remastering knowlege, i'd leave them be as is [apart from a possible Normalize to rise the overall levels]

if you wanna play with "clean-up" i would save and archive the "Raw" recording, then copy it to yer HD and fool with the "Copy" files...if you ever seed it, ONLY seed the "Raw" version
Quote:
Originally Posted by alg
2 Will nero 6 cope with analogue to digital conversion or do I need additional software ?
stay away from Nero except for burning discs. if you don't have access to a higher-end Audio prog, you can go with Audacity which is freeware...you can record the analogue signal, tracksplit, resample [if necessary], etc with this prog http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Quote:
Originally Posted by alg
3 Do I plug the preamp into the Logitec surround sound controller line in port or into the soundcard ? Does it matter ?
not knowing what kinda outs you have on yer pre, most likely you'll be going RCA outs > line in jack on yer soundcard...

of course, using SPDIF Coax or another digi form of connection would be ideal, but i'm pretty sure the Audigy 2 didn'thave these capabilites [working off memeory]

as a note, i figure since you have a decent turntable, yer cartridge is good as well...i'd give the vinyl a good cleaning or two before hand, and if the cartridge is very used, replace before doing this...a great resource for vinyl related gear [at good prices] is turntablelab.com