View Single Post
Old 2005-02-16, 04:22 PM
TTD Staff

Re: ISO - People that Make DVDs on Mac's

wilson...

just a few notes:

1. as a former PC user who switched to Mac [but still use my pc for file storage], let me tell you--SWITCH TO MAC!!! far less errors, crashes, security problems, hack attempts, spam, adware, etc...

2. as a film student & former audio recording junkie, mac is the way to go in both worlds...final cut is very similar to premiere [which i have used in the past], but i find it a bit more "professional" [mainly its filters, effects, etc]...

3. re: converting DV to HiDef---h_vargas is right...in order to truly make something HD, the footage would've had to have been shot on a HD Camera [which few people have the $10,000 for]...however, i still use Final Cut Pro HD for the footage i import [XL2 down to regular DV Cam footage]...i simply import it in whatever format it is, and not as HD...

i would note that if you are merely going to import footage [such as live shows] and do little in regards to filters/effects/etc. i would just buy Final Cut Express [just looked in MacMall and its $294 right now]...

4. Apple's online store offers student discounts, so if yer a student [or know a student who would purchase something in their name for you] you can get the Final Cut Production Suite [Final Cut Pro HD, DVD Studio Pro (professional-level menu authoring), Motion, & Peak(audio) + more] for only $499!!! thats about a 60% discount...i'm sure Final Cut Express would be even less than $300 with the student discount as well...

hope that helps a bit...if you do decide to get the Production Suite, look online and note the minimum system req for each program so you are sure you can run them...

good luck...slainte!
aar.onerrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited by AAR.oner; 2005-02-16 at 04:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes