View Single Post
Old 2005-02-04, 06:28 PM

SHN/FLAC Frontend Encoding Questions

I operate Windows XP, including Service Pack 2, and am suddenly having problems with BOTH shn encoding using mkwACT (which had worked well before), and FLAC Frontend (which I've never used before). I was hoping to seed the resulting compressed files here or elsewhere, so would like this to be "just exactly perfect," or as close as I can come.

My questions:

1. In mkwACT, I now (post-SP2) can't encode wav files to shns that are seekable (either seek tables included, or appended). Otherwise, encoding works fine. I've tried using the "run in compatibility mode" (or whatever) feature, checking either Windows 2000 and Windows 98/ME, and neither helps.

2. In FLAC Frontend (which I've never used for encoding before), it seems that the DOS window INITIALLY lists all files as converting properly (one line per track, with a percentage that scrolls up to 100% as encoding progresses).

BUT then, after encoding is (seemingly) finished, the window shows a BUNCH (10-15 lines per track) of track-by-track info, which indicates "General Error 1" (as I remember). It SEEMS like the error is related to trying to add tags (my SUSPICION is that the frontend is trying to create tags (whatever they are!) and I haven't given it the info to do so successfully). Sorry to be so vague.

But I guess my question is: what options should I be checking when encoding using FLAC Frontend? I've currently got it set to level 8, and have checked "verify," "add tags," "replaygain" (with sub-option "treat as whole album"), and "align on sector boundaries." U THINK these were the default settings. Other than the last one re: SBEs, I don't know what in the heck these options do, and I'm wondering if I can un-check one or all. (Having used CDWave for tracking, I'm assuming there's no SBE issue.)

HELP!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes