View Single Post
Old 2005-08-19, 12:07 AM

Re: Confusion about generations and masters etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmonk66
What I find funny is that the whole lineage thing is pretty stupid when you think about it.

When you look at the TTD policy forbiding the torrenting of shows where their is a CD-R generation between an "original silver" since as Mr. Freezer pointed out we have no idea where the lineage of the "original silver" is anyway??

I do understand the reason for this (i.e. cuts down on digital errors from bad rips and burns) but if you verify that its an error-free copy it shouldl be fine.

Now - when it comes to the analog world of cassette tapes obviously each generation means a deterioration of the sound (just like when making a xerox copy the copy is not identical of the original and if you make a copy of copy then the quality just gets worse and worse)

So, sound qualty wise a CD-R(3) should sound no different then CD-R(10) as long as ech copy is error free but a 2nd generation tape is going to sound much better then a 7th generation tape!
Well, fact is that CD-R getting one or more gens added 99% means it was copied with nero or whatever with no offset correction. so everything just sort of slides a little. Which honestly isn't such a big deal. The other real problem with CDR gens is that errors creep in... I've got a couple hundred CDR(x) zep audio CDRs and something like 15% of them skip, others have SBEs burned into them... so I feel better from experience having a lower gen CDR if its available. If it has been copied well then the offsets will have merly slid so you really have to give it a close listen. When it finally gets off CDR and becomes a FLAC set it should be examined carefully by the seeder (and the downloaders who are more on the audiophile end).

As for bootleg silvers, we originally didn't want them here at all since they're unknown generation. We decided to allow them because (a) we want to take profits away from bootleggers and (b) those bootleggers have made some unsurpassed stuff (or at least sometimes unsurfaced). We decided that we wouldn't tolerate CDR gens for boots since there are a fair number or any title out there ripe for the EAC'ing.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes