View Single Post
Old 2005-12-02, 11:50 PM

Re: Newbie - confused about flac

foobar2000's CD-ripping and CD-writing capabilities only work if you have Nero installed. However, if memory serves, the Nero demo will work. And as I recall, some things keep working in foobar2000 after the demo itself expires (gotta love .DLLs). Not sure if burning is one of those.

Come to think of it, you don't need foobar2000 or Nero to burn FLAC files!

You can use Burrrn
or burnatonce.

Both are free.

Both include an optional ReplayGain scanner for modifying the level of the audio being burned.

Burrrn supports (by default) FLAC, SHN, and APE lossless formats, in addtion to the major lossy formats and a few other lossless formats that aren't even used here (WavPack, OptimFrog, and TrueAudio).
burnatonce supports FLAC natively, and you can add support for APE (no SHN, though).

Burrrn only writes audio CDRs.
burnatonce can burn audio and data CDRs, plus there's a free, though slightly complicated way to burn data DVDs that you can add to it. You can also use it to erase CDRWs.

Burrrn defaults to Disc-at-Once recording - this means no 2-second pause. I'm not even sure if it can do anything else. It's pretty idiot-proof that way; I've never had problems with that.
burnatonce has the option to select 2-second pause or not. I don't remember what the default is. Also, it allows you to manually set pre- and post-gap values on a per-track basis, which I could see being useful to some people.

In the end, Burrrn is probably the easiest choice for people around here.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes