View Single Post
Old 2007-05-06, 07:57 PM

Re: Are mp3 master recordings allowed @TTD???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbself
if it is converted to wav then recompressed to mp3 it will suffer frequency loss again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifH12345
That is not the case.

I think it probably is......I am sure that one of the mod's or one of the more technically proficient members can probably produce documentation of this fact. I know that multiple compressions and decompressions produces further frequency loss and digital artifacts.

The very title of "lossy compression" suggests that something is lost in the translation.

The whole point of the lossless codecs (shn, flac, ape...) is so that no matter how many times you convert between wav and these types of file...the conversion back to wav always produces a carbon copy of the wav.

If I find time during the next week or so I will do a test conversion of an mp3 file to wav, take a spectragraph, then go wav>mp3>wav>mp3>wav and take another spectragraph and I can promise you there will be deterioration of the original signal.

If I do the same thing from flac>wav>flac>wav>shn>wav>ape>wav there will be a verifiably identical copy of the first wav in the chain.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes