View Single Post
Old 2005-08-19, 04:11 AM

Re: Capturing Video from VHS > DVD

Hey
I'm the guy inheriting these VHS tapes. I'm getting VHS from two people. Both of them filmers.

One of them has a camera that records straight to VHS. He says 'broadcast quality VHS' (which might just be a selling point for when the camera was new... which i think was some time ago). He is sending me the actual master VHS tapes that he filmed to and I am transferring it to DVD.

The second is a guy who has taped on mini-dv and dumped to VHS directly from the camera (plugging the camera into his VCR). I am also transferring these to DVD.

I'm transferring them to DVD like this. My university has these dumping machines in the edit suites, not sure what they're called or what the make/model is (I can find out). Basically I pop the VHS into the machine which is connected to a PC via firewire and I capture video in Adobe Premiere Pro v1.5. The format I capture in is uncompressed AVI... I'll hafta check it out but I'm pretty sure it would be PCM 44khz or whatever. I'll confirm this when I have my first attempt if need be.

If I were to rip the audio i'm thinking it wouldn't be Lossy. Is it acceptable? And what would the lineage be?

for case 1 ripping to audio
type of camera > VHS(M) > firewire > AVI (capture device and premiere pro) > WAV (export wav in premiere pro) > FLAC > CDR(1)

for case 2 ripping to audio
camera > miniDV(M) > VHS(1) > firewire > AVI (capture device and premiere pro) > WAV (export wav in premiere pro) > FLAC > CDR(1)

corrections?

Thanks.

Last edited by Dylz; 2005-08-19 at 04:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes