View Single Post
Old 2006-01-13, 03:06 AM

Re: unkown source (bootleg) MD possibly?

the MD signature when you zoom to 2 seconds tends to have that look like little parapets (is that the word?) built from lego (and a few free-floating blocks visible here and there). Take a look at some of the older threads in this forum, you can really get a feel for it that way.

transfers done digitally show pure black in the highs, whereas analog transfers will have that puple haze which is noise from the soundcard and/or analog output of the MD player. not so many MD decks even have a digital out (mine has only digital in but no digital out) so perfect digital MD transfers are a little more rare. EAC likes to show a haze on the highs on pretty much anything and everything, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssamadhi97
I doubt that.

If you mean the vertical line stuff, that's more likely caused by clipping during transfer or saturation during recording
yeah, that's what I mean. I believe these are usually scratches on audio cd/cdrs that are preserved when copied and/or not re-read and corrected when they're ripped (from not using EAC secure or similar). I suppose they could be added during a transfer but I see these a lot on audio cdr(x) mp3-sourced shows where you would think the encoding would wipe them out above 16kHz (or whatever the cutoff is) yet there they are going straight to the top. kind of a moot point anyways, we can surely agree its a sign of some form of sloppiness somewhere along the way.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes