View Single Post
Old 2016-09-21, 02:20 AM
Recording/Mastering Engineer

Re: Is my recording worthy? Steely Dan Charlotte, NC 2016-07-02

Of course, man! Don't hesitate - jump in!

Every taper started somewhere with something. There are arguments that can be made for better gear and things, but others can equally argue that even the cheapest gear can produce some great results too (and a DR-05 isn't the lowest end of the scale by any means)! Tapers with experience will tell you that being in a good place to tape from makes the most difference. If you're positioned in a sweet spot for sound, you will capture some good recordings...

I would look into possibly doing some EQ on your recording to knock down a bit of the low boominess bass frequencies, and to boost the upper range, to make it more tonally smooth and more in-line with other recordings you like. The tweaks that a taper can do to improve and "master" their raw audience recordings, the better they will be appreciated. It's one thing to remaster someone else's recording (usually a bad thing) but I think it's good for a taper to control their work and do some proper mastering to it.

Good luck and have fun! This can be a really fun hobby and you can meet some very cool like-minded people. Remember, if you don't tape it, it's just a fuzzy memory. Cheers!