View Single Post
Old 2022-01-14, 05:09 AM
Trader since 1980

Re: What Constitutes A Remaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Horton View Post
A quote from producer Steve Albini to illustrate my point. "A remix takes the original sounds from the session—the individual tracks, like the drums, bass, guitar, voice tracks—and rebalances them in a completely new stereo master."
I think Albini and I are saying the same thing with different words.

Mixing, whether done at or immediately after the original recording session, or at a later date, involves taking the tracks (the original sounds) and determining their level (balance) in the final "mix". This may INVOLVE EQ as part of the process, but EQ is NOT the whole thing....

I don't consider this the domain of "DJs etc." DJs play back the final mix, UNLESS someone has provided them with single 'tracks', 'beats' or whateve else they call them, to be assembled on the spot, in a live context.

I've never encountered "something like Triumph's Greatest Hits remixed CD." so can't comment on that...

Back to your earlier post ("I would consider EQing the sound to be a remix not a remaster".) - simply EQing a 2-track L/R Stereo Master is NOT 'mixing' ....

EQ = Equalisation

"adjusting the volume of different frequency bands within an audio signal"

This is not the same as mixing - i.e. adjusting the level of an individual track within a 4-track, 8-track, 16-track recording, where each track contains a different instrument or set of instruments.

Last edited by GRC; 2022-01-14 at 05:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes