View Single Post
Old 2005-02-04, 02:57 PM
h_vargas

Re: vhs>dvd: least expensive acceptable way

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Homebrew
Lately I've just been encoding all my captures at 8,200 kbps CBR. Is there any advantage to using multi-pass VBR? I don't care about saving space, only quality.
oh, yeeeessss. i don't know what encoder you use, but multi-pass VBR really shines with more "complicated" (read: higher motion) scenes. the size difference really isn't that much, fromt he few comparisons i've done.

but i've had some of my VHS tapes transferred with a standalone (from a friend) and then encoded the tapes myself and the difference in quality is amazing. granted, standalone recorders use VBR, but it's only 1-pass (hence, realtime MPEG-2/DVD encoding). i kid you not when i say that when i use 5-passes at an average bitrate of 4 Mbps, it looks better in high motion scenes than a standalone when used in 'XP' (60 minute/disc, highest quality) mode.

it's really just too difficult to get a good encoding of high-motion scenes/scene cuts (which are quite frequent on pro shot concert footage) using 1-pass encoding.

i've read a lot of people say 2-pass encoding is "good enough," but it's worth it to go the 'extra mile' and use more passes, IMO. i mean, using CCE, i encode at 2x realtime. so, even with 5-passes and the initial pass (which creates the VAF file), it's like 6 hours to encode a full 2 hour show. to me, that isn't a big deal, as i usually just set up my PC to encode overnight.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes