View Single Post
Old 2007-05-12, 04:40 PM
Tubular

Re: Are mp3 master recordings allowed @TTD???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
this is a key point

here was my last tape with MD (atrac) compared to my first tape with Hi-MD (wav):
http://rapidshare.com/files/30942071...rade.flac.html

it was a different room but everything else was exactly the the same, the mics and everything. The atrac deck was pricy in its day (around $400) but these days you can get a wav recorder for less than that, as low as $55 used! In the $400 price range you could just about afford an m-audio microtrack2496 which is a rolls royce next to the pinto that is oldschool atrac md. Atrac MD is so fucking shit you have to record it thru your soundcard to get a digital copy of the recording you made!

with regard to "only available source" there is some merit to the concept and somebody should keep tabs on cell phone vids, md, mp3 etc recordings but its just too much for us to handle and not at all the correct direction for TTD.

What do you guys think about a cutoff date for old ATRAC MD recordings, where after that date anything recorded ATRAC is no longer allowed?
I listened to that sample clip and the difference is huge, but it is apples to oranges in my opinion. A different room can be a big factor, plus the band might have been using a better PA system and better equipment. Have you tried comparing it like this:

Same recording, room, date:

Hi MD > wav > FLAC vs. Hi MD > wav > 256 kbps mp3 w/Lame or Blade encoder

A lot of people (including me) would be hard pressed to tell the difference. I just made a bunch of mp3's (Blade at 192 kbps) from my CD studio albums (mostly rock) for my bro (he's not an audiophile and has an iPod, so mp3's are fine for him) [Side note: would the mp3's I made have to be transcoded to Apple's lossy format, thus reducing quality further?] I could barely tell the difference between the extracted wav's and the encoded mp3's listening through my computer's analog out > $50 Sony headphones. The wavs were a tiny bit more robust. Maybe if I had compared the two on my decent home stereo I would have noticed a bigger difference.

You have to record ATRAC MD through your soundcard to get a digital copy? You mean like a real time DAT to soundcard transfer using digital inputs and outputs or do you have to use the MiniDisc's analog out > soundcard's analog input?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes