View Single Post
Old 2008-02-28, 01:15 PM
TTD VIP

Re: Backing up to DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementrium View Post
And I thought the Duck Archive was a joke. Congrats, Vlad!

Did you make/design all this cabinets/drawers? (I want to hire you).
Seriously, I would like to know if these drawers open 100% to easily handle all its contents. What type of rails (do you call it this way?) do you use.

I have a similar setup, but drawers open at about 75%, so I cannot easily reach the discs placed at the back. I have to make new ones but cannot decide which path to take now: shelves or drawers.

So, if you can take some close-up pictures of the drawers to view the 'opening' mechanism, it would be great.

(Hope you understand this fucked-up English. I lack of carpentry vocabulary, as well ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladsmythe View Post
No, I didn't design them. I asked a woodworker to do it for me. I gave him a few cassettes and he designed/built my first cabinet. It held a couple thousand. The drawers open to expose the entire contents so each cd case is easily removed. It is Cantilever hardware that makes it work. They pull out very smoothly, and they are very strong. I had a twin made for the cassette cabinet because I quickly out grew it. The cost back in 1988 for the first one was $1700. The man who made them also was the guy who built the altar for the Pope when he visited here in Monterey in 1987, so the skill level was supurb. I then had a tall cabinet made to house my videotape collection as you can see in the picture. In the shot you showed (the cds) that was actually the twin cassette cabinet that I had retrofitted to hold all of my Grateful Dead sbds. My GD auds are stored elsewhere. Intrerestingly, when we remodled our home, the carpenter who made our built-in floor to ceiling bookshelves in the living room used extra oak to retro-fit the cabinet. He never charged me for it, so I gave him the extra cantilever hardware.

The shelves in "The lab" are built by myself with 3/4 by 4 inch pine. It costs me about $60 and an hour of time to cut and attach to the wall. All told, I'm at about 16,000 cds, and 2000 dvds.

Gotta go. More cabinets to build!