View Single Post
Old 2004-12-07, 07:44 PM
What'cha Got There?

Re: Backing up CDs (unrelated to live shows)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcrazy2005
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if I could just get a little clarification. I used the IMG button to get a secure rip of the CD. Now I have a big .wav and a .cue file. I don't know what to do with these. I tried to open them with Roxio CD/DVD burner, but that didn't seem to want them. Also, I'm not sure what you mean about copying the .bin file over. If you look at the CD in Explorer, it has an Autorun file and a .exe. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

-Phil
Instead of creating a bin file, EAC created one big WAV file. A bin file is basically just an image of a disc (or location), and can contain any type of data. The cue file is a set of instructions that tells a program what to do with a bin (or WAV).
If it's a bin file the cue usually just says "Burn this" without a whole lot more to be worried about. Usually if a program creates one big WAV file, the cue tells the burning app you use to "cut the track at this minute/this second...then start track 2 at this minute/this second" and can even keep those 2 second gaps in your recording (if your original recording has them). Try grabbing the cue file you have and drag/drop it into notepad...you'll be able to see much of this info yourself. I know people who create cue files by hand to cut up tracks instead of using a program to do it. If you want to be creative, you can have the cue file move your track points sooner or later by changing the info in the cue file, but that's beyond my patience. You can also use a cue file to name your tracks so they show up in your CD player window.

I haven't used Roxio for a long time, but somewhere up in your menus at the top there should be an option to "Burn Image" or something similiar. If you point your program to the created cue file, that file will tell your program how to burn your disc.

...now the only thing that has me scratching my head is how it's going to burn this extra multimedia data you mention since you've got a WAV. Maybe EAC didn't pick that extra info up? I've never tried to copy one of those audio discs with the extra stuff on it so I'm not sure. Maybe that's why Roxio won't take it? Think you'll have to wait for someone else to come along with that answer.