View Single Post
Old 2007-06-03, 09:42 PM
Sleeping Colorless Green Ideas
TTD VIP

Re: Lossy vs Lossless video sourcing on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltman
I would appreciate you digging up what you could about the rendering technique you describe.
It's called supersampling. Rather than try to explain what it is, just do a google and read about it.

How to use it: basically, the very bottom track in the timeline (that you probably never use or even pay attention to unless you're using supersampling) is the Master Video Bus Track.

Just as if you were going to insert a volume envelope (right click on the volume track, and click "insert/remove envelope" > "volume"), you do the same thing on the Master Video Bus Track. Except you follow this sequence: "insert/remove envelope > video supersampling."

You raise the envelope at increments of 1 up to the highest which is 8. However, the higher you set it, the longer it takes to render (and it can really increase render times). Whenever you are using the inferior video, you raise the slider, and for any segments of straight DV, you just lower it to zero.

I used it in the 2005 U2 Minneapolis 2-DVD set that I authored (and it was recently torrented), and I was very pleased with the results. There were segments of video missing, and the only thing I had to plug them with was mpeg4 shot with a micro-cam. I also used some mpeg4 segments as overlay video when creating a composite.

Also, if you use it as picture-in-picture footage, it's much smaller and not likely to cause any problems - so that's another possibility if you have some decent mpeg4 clips.

Randy
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes