Thread: Hard Drive help
View Single Post
Old 2005-05-24, 10:03 AM
You are TOO

Re: Hard Drive help

Without paying a lot of money for a program that "might" work, the only thing I can think of right now is to try something like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image (or any of the other disk "cloning" software out there). You'll need to "clone" the drive, not simply back it up. Cloning runs from DOS from which you "may" be able to recover the files. Simply backing up the drive with one of these programs may not work since the backup feature runs from Windows and Windows apparently can't read your drive. This, of course, is no guarantee either. If you just happen to live near Cincinnati Ohio (I know, it's a long shot), I have the software that could most likely recover the files, but it's not something I can give out.

I'll have to think if there is another way or if there is some freeware that can do it. My head isn't too clear at the moment, as I'm taking pain meds for a tooth I just had pulled. Also, it's best to disconnect the drive from the computer and NOT use it until you have a plan. The more you use it, the less your chances are of recovering data.

Now that I think of it, it may just be your FAT or NTFS table that is corrupt. What exactly is the message that Maxtor gave you?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes