View Single Post
Old 2006-02-13, 07:19 PM
i have a fucking gun

Icon4 Windows Settings/Account Gone!

i created a new partition/formated a drive, completly seperate from my system drive, and rebooted. everything seemed fine untill i was asked to log into windows.
i only have 1 user profile on this machine with a password (named ME), so when i logged in and wasnt asked to enter my password, i knew something was up. the profile name said ME, which confused me. it took about 4 minutes to log in, during which time a few error boxes came up saying something like "so and so file/setting cannot be found, a temporary profile will be created. all setting will be discarded when you restart".
the desktop was reset to the windows hills, and there was nothing on the desktop besides the recycle bin.
also, a text document with "[.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\System32\Shell32.dll,-21787" showed up at startup.
i found a solution to get rid of that ( http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;330132 ) which worked, but it didnt restore any of my settings.

i looked at user accounts in the control panel and no new accounts are shown or anything, but looking at documents and settings shows a new account named ME.PETER which i never had before. i think this is the user i'm being logged into, but i cant tell for sure, as the active username still says simply ME.

i tried to set a password on my old user (ME) and loged off, restarted, was was asked to enter the password, and again, blank desktop, no settings. so its confusing that i would be able to access my old user (ME) but its clearly not right. again, looking at documents and settings/ME , all of my desktop icons are there, but they arent ON the desktop.

i've tried about all i can think about, desperate for help/suggestions. everything is gone, desktop icons, mozilla settings & bookmarks, start menu.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes