View Single Post
Old 2015-06-30, 02:12 AM

Re: How to seed on multiple trackers at once?

Here's my similar question with all the detail I could come up with. Probably should post as a new question/topic, but since it's related I'll start here at least:

This is a question I've been wondering about for quite a while.

First of all, I'm using Vuze as my torrent tracker client. I love it.

I often see the same identical torrents seeded on multiple trackers, TTD and Dime for instance. Since I have a lot more ratio bandwidth on Dime than I do on TTD, I sometimes download on Dime, then help seed on TTD. If the folders are named differently, as they often are, then I'll just download from Dime, keep seeding there, then start downloading from TTD (without actually downloading the files, just so I can see the folder structure, files and exact file sizes). I then very carefully compare the file names and sizes of each folder to make sure everything is exact. If all matches exactly, I will then copy the files I got from Dime to the TTD folder. IF the folders are named differently, then I will then delete and restart the TTD download. Vuze (my torrent client) will then check the files to make sure they're the same (better than me, I'm sure), and if it all matches then it shows as complete and starts seeding. My purpose here is twofold: 1. To help seed, and 2. To improve my ratio on TTD which is much lower as I haven't used in near as much as Dime. This only applies if the folder names are different.

If the folder names are THE SAME, it's a bit different. I still go through the file structure and file name & size comparison. If the folder(s), files & sizes are the same, which they often are, AND THE FOLDER NAME IS THE SAME, then in Vuze I cannot add the torrent again because even though they're from two different trackers (Dims & TTD), Vuze sees them as identical and tells me I've already added the torrent. So in these cases I've found that I can right click on the original torrent in Vuze, select "Control"(menu), select the "Tracker/Torrent" option, select "Add Tracker URL(S)", then enter http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/tracker/announce.php?passkey=0b291075f4ef624b42afdd7a166fa2f8" for TTD. When I do this, Vuze does it's normal "file check" (says Checking xx.x%), then if all is well it shows both trackers on my seed. I've just now started attempting this method. While Vuze does show both trackers under the torrent detail "Sources" for the seed, at the moment I'm only seeing the Seeds and Leechers detail for the Dime tracker. I see the proper Peers number for both, but no Seeds and Leechers detail for TTD.

First, is this acceptable, in general? I know that on rare occasions, certain seeders sometimes ask that you don't help seed, so I don't attempt this if I see that request. I don't want to violate some type of seeding code.

Second, is this procedure proper, as I've described? It seems to work fine but I'd like to be sure and don't want to potentially screw something up for myself or anyone else. I haven't done any Google research. A brief bit of research just now found this (this thread!) but it isn't very clear to me:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...d.php?t=113016

If anyone can share any insight into this process, I would appreciate it. I'm posting this question here because this is one of the torrents I've found on both Dime and TTD that have identical folder names. I'll post this question/comment on both TTD and Dime.

An example of a torrent which has the IDENTICALLY NAMED FOLDER on both Dime and TTD is here:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...96#post2165496

An example of a torrent which has differently named folders on Dime and TTD is here:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...d.php?t=118781

Again, if I'm doing something wrong or this is frowned upon or can potentially cause some kind of issues, I apologize in advance and will cease this activity. I'm just trying to find out how to properly do this type of multiple tracker seeding idea, etc. etc. and have been wondering about this for quite a while.

Thank you!

Last edited by TenYearsGone; 2015-06-30 at 02:21 AM. Reason: minor detail text edit
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes