Thread: Lossy Source?
View Single Post
Old 2006-09-16, 10:01 AM
moebootz

Lossy Source?

I'm putting together an srv show to seed. I'm trying to determine if it's mp3 source since an srv guru I know says one has to be careful because a lot of srv mp3 sourced shows are polluting the pool. So I opened all of the tracks in cool edit pro 2 and did a frequency analysis. The high ends have the signature mp3 look but I know this can't always be conclusive.

So I converted a track to mp3 @320. I figure you can't get back what's been taken away and if it's been an mp3 at a lower bit rate then converting to 320 would yield the same result as say if it were a 128 mp3.

There was a change in the frequency analysis result between the wav and mp3. So I converted the mp3 to wav and the freq analysis result was the same for the mp3 and wav and different from the original wav.

So I decided to compare the original wav to the wav > mp3 > wav using eac. The error message eac generated says "Different Samples." Also says there was almost .06 difference in length.

So ya think this is ok to seed? I've attached a few screen shots which I'll include in my file set.

Thanks
Moe
Attached Images
File Type: gif srv wav.gif
( 18.9 KB, 49 views)

File Type: gif srv wavtomp3towav.gif
( 18.9 KB, 35 views)

File Type: gif srv_wav_compare.gif
( 17.0 KB, 32 views)

Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes