View Single Post
Old 2012-02-23, 06:14 PM
Peninsulanwolf

Re: Splitting 16/48 tracks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioarchivist View Post
16/48 (or 24/48 or 24/96 files) technically can't have SBE's per se - those sample rates are not made for CD's. Having said that, if you take higher res files and downsample and dither them to 16/44.1, if they aren't split at the right places, they will possibly have SBE's at CD rates...

What I do when processing my 24/96 files is to only split tracks to the exact second. That is, no fractions of a second. CD sectors mean that each second is split into 75 frames. If you split a file between the points that these frames are, that makes a SBE. It's hard to tell where those other 74 frame boundaries are, but there's one at each perfect second. So, splitting a file to be exactly down to a perfect second with no fractions of a second will ensure that your hi-res files will never have any future compatibility issues with SBE's when they are converted to CD quality...

no fractions = no SBE's

make sense?
Makes very good sense, thanks for the tip. That's similar to what I used to do 10-12 years ago, before I knew about CDWave/WaveBreaker etc., I used a cue sheet to split to exact seconds with EAC. In those days I didn't have a digital sound card or a burner in my computer, I transferred DATs to CDR using a Tascam CDRW700 as one long track (letting the Tascam do the downsampling), ripped to PC with EAC, split tracks with EAC, compressed to shorten and uploaded to usenet. Now that I know a _lot_ more about the process I was considering redoing some of the DATs and leaving them @48. Probably not worth the effort, but maybe will use the technique with future recordings.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes