View Single Post
Old 2016-01-03, 01:39 PM

Icon4 Re: MP3 or MiniDisc?

Howdy,

This may be my recording from April 20, 2001 at The Beacon Theater; if so, I used a minidisc recorder to originally capture the audio. I was sitting in the first row, orchestra left for this, and the December 2000 show, which I recorded, as well. At the time I had fairly recently switched over from analog cassette, was not aware that minidisc was a lossy source.

Would it be possible that you could up this show here so that I could give it a listen to see if it is, in fact, mine? I am especially interested as I can only find the original second and third minidiscs for this and I would like to have a friend work on a new edit of this gig.

Thanks in advance.

Conan1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherWeis View Post
I received this Joe Jackson show in a CDR trade with a dude from Germany over a decade ago. A couple of the discs proved to be things that still have not popped up on these sites (I upped the Pre-FM Joe Jackson from the Old Waldorf 79 that I got in that trade). This show from The Beacon Theatre in New York 2001 is an audience recording, and I have never analyzed one of those before. Looking at it, to me it is clearly lossy, however, the frequency drop off is not as sharp as I would expect from an MP3. I know that, at that time, minidisc was a frequently used, but imperfect, device for capturing audio. From the Spectrogram and Frequency Analysis below, would you say that this is lossy because of MP3 in the lineage, or because it was recorded on a device that compressed it at the start? Is there even a way to tell?

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes