View Single Post
Old 2008-12-07, 02:56 PM

Re: Should we ban thoughtless leechers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladsmythe View Post
"You were one of them. And so was vlad"

I was. I'll cop to it. I was thinking that we could get rid of a lot of excellent members with a 1.0 ratio enforcement. That would go over well... and all that would remain is a few good folks who contribute content and a ton of weasels who contribute nothing but have a fast connection. Bottom line: I propose a ratio "Bailout" for people like me who share original content, but are hampered by slower dsl upload speed.
I 2nd your thoughts. I'm not proud of my ratio, but I am not thoughtless. I never jump off a torrent that is desperate for seeders, I may stay connected for days, a week even and barely hit .40. This is why I regift stuff I get elsewhere in an attempt to do my share. So while it may look like I'm "jumping off" a torrent prematurely, it's likely due to the fact that I need the kb's for the show I'm seeding. I do intend to upgrade my DSL service since it has recently become possible to do so, but at the quantity of my usage, my ratio isn't going to move too easily. I agree with vlad, that a professional leecher with a high speed connection allowing a good ratio isn't a better member than I am, his contribution comes in a different way. This site has been "home" to me for a long time, and setting some high ratio requirement is not going to improve this site. If a ratio requirement has to be implemented I think Vlad's "bailout" should extend to all forms of uploading. Sharing new content has to be worth more than simply having a fast upload speed. Perhaps a .25 enforcement ratio with a credit system for uploaders of new material, such as 10gigs of upload credit per each gig of new material uploaded EX: upload a 4gig dvd and receive 40 gigs of upload credit. This would not only encourage somewhat fair sharing , but some more members to share new and unique things to TTD. Now THAT would improve the site, getting more uploaders and more content
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes