View Single Post
Old 2006-09-19, 02:41 AM
yeltzin_4

Re: DVD Authoring - Acceptable Methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsss
I'm interested insome of your settings. What should I set the Default video bitrate at for low quality video (I'm converting some avi files to dvd as my player won't play avi files). I can't fit much on each disc after it is converted to dvd format and the default video bitrate is 8000, which is what was there as the default when I started dvd architect. If I reduce this will I lose quality, and will I increase how much I can put on the dvd?
Thanks
DS
Here's a rough guide:

If your combined video + audio bitrate is 9800kbit/sec = 1 hour on a DVD5
If your combined video + audio bitrate is 4900kbit/sec = 2 hours on a DVD5
If your combined video + audio bitrate is 3200kbit/sec = 3 hours on a DVD5
If your combined video + audio bitrate is 2400kbit/sec = 4 hours on a DVD5

Here's a great bitrate calculator which may help... http://dvd-hq.info/Calculator.html

The lower the video bitrate, the lower the quality of the resulting video. Since you have low quality video to start with, I'd try the 2 hour bitrate and see if you're happy with the picture quality.

If your videos are just for your personal use, then I'd recommed using MP2 (lossy) or AC3 (lossy) encoding for your audio. PCM audio is a waste if your source is an XviD or DivX avi file

@jellybeard999
If you want to be positive that your authoring program isn't re-encoding your video, check out DVD-Lab (or DVD-Lab-Pro) at www.mediachance.com. But it looks like that Saltman has addressed your problem with re-encoding...
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes