View Single Post
Old 2008-01-18, 07:47 PM
TTD VIP

Re: 3 questions about VHS > DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salva Veritate View Post
I'm about to get some really rare shows on VHS, and this is my first trade ever involving anything not on a disc.

1) I'm 90% sure I lack the equipment to record VHS > DVD, but I want to make sure. How do I find out whether my VCR (Samsung DVD-V2500) and computer (Gateway 550GR with XP Pro SP1) can support the transfer? I know my way around most basic video/audio/image editing programs but when it comes to hardware I don't know a 3.2 GHz processor from a Pop-Tart, so a little help would be appreciated.

2) Failing that, I'd try a VHS > miniDV > DVD transfer, having recently gotten equipment for a miniDV > computer transfer. How much quality would be lost here (assuming highest quality settings for the transfer)?

3) Failing THAT, are there any VHS > DVD services that won't arrest you for copyright infringement? I was going to go to Office Depot, but I noticed a big sign that said "COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT IS A FEDERAL CRIME AND WILL BE PROSECUTED" or something. That scared me off, since this is a gray area for a lot of people.
1 - i don't know of any vcr that will hook directly to your comp
you need some device in the middle like a minidv camera or a dazzle capture device

2 - the minidv camera will work if it allows for analog IN in other words it will let you record the vhs to a minidv tape then the tape to your comp
or some will just let it passthru to the comp and not record to tape at all

2a - its just as good quality as going vcr > dazzle > comp or anything else

3 - i assume its not a concer tape or home movie if you are worried about copyrights, most places are going to ask you to sign off on it and if they feels its copyright material will not sell it to you
you will not go to jail though
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes