View Single Post
Old 2007-12-31, 04:42 PM

Re: Got the call from Comcast !

I got booted off of Comcast for the very same thing last Spring. My Comcast account rep was absolutely clueless (they kept telling me that the service was 'unlimited' even after the 'abuse' department had given me notice that they were going to cut me off). After getting warned, I tried to cut back on my usage, but since they wouldn't tell me exactly how much I was allowed to use, I really didn't know what was 'acceptable usage' to them. When my wife went into the local regional office and spoke to the regional manager, he simply said that there was nothing he could do to help because he couldn't override the decision of the 'abuse' department. My wife has filed grievances with our local city government and the Attorney General of California over this whole thing. Ultimately however I am glad to be out of the clutches of the Comcast Evil Empire (we switched TV to Dish Network and now get twice as many channels at a cheaper price).

Interestingly enough, when searching for another ISP, I was told by AT&T that they did not offer DSL where I live (which happens to be in the middle of a large metropolitan area). I was able to get a connection with Covad, however. It turns out that the Covad DSL, although listed at slower speeds than the Comcast broadband, is actually *faster* in practicality than Comcast was. The weird thing was, the party that set up the Covad line was....AT&T! Covad merely rents out the AT&T phone lines. Don't ask me why AT&T didn't sell me the DSL line directly. However, again, in the long run I feel better about not jumping in bed with another insane giant evil telecom.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes