Thread: Jazz BT Forum?
View Single Post
Old 2005-07-28, 12:19 PM

Re: Jazz BT Forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Not that I'm against it, but I don't understand why people aren't uploading/discussing more jazz if they're really that interested. My stance is that if it shows great interest (by way of uploads/discussion), then "maybe" it should get it's own forum - but then wouldn't we have to create forums specifically for Bonnaroo, Live8 (maybe), U2, etc.? I see more of those posts/uploads than those of jazz. Of course we could always break down the forums by genre - just a thought.
Unfortunately though, it didn't work that way on StG... for whatever reason, a few folks pushed for a jazz forum there -- as people described -- it got created and people started posting. Even that site that shall not be named had a Jazz forum and a couple interesting shows were posted before it went down. Dime makes it very easy to sort on just jazz and avant-garde shows as well, as it does for other genres incidently, which lends support to the idea of multiple areas for multiple genres. I don't know why other genres weren't created on StG.

For example, I don't post jazz here (heck, I don't post shows much) in part because I don't see the interest -- and in part because I'm grabbing so many great shows from Dime I rarely have upload time. I mean the one interesting jazz show I've seen on here had only 12 completes. But are people interested in that seeing the show in between all of the Hendrix, Floyd, Doors and Zeppelin, etc? (no offense to those who enjoy those groups.)

Also, I think there is some pent-up demand, for example there is a separate mailing list related to (but not sponsored by) Dime for those interested in discussing the jazz torrents on that site. In part to replicate the old days of the StG forum.

My last comment, as I was a frequent contributor to that forum, is that one of the cool things was that for the longest time it flew under the radar in that discussion of music was allowed to be mixed with just jazz discussion (and later a subforum of the main group) -- so people could talk about the music. Something that seems to happen precious little in the 'Lounge' for example, or it is quickly sidetracked into irrelevant side discussions.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes