View Single Post
Old 2019-03-07, 02:39 PM

Re: Where to start with remastering/cleaning audio? (Need help)

The common idea that you need high end speakers for all of remastering work is perpetuated by many who consider themselves "experts", but it's simply wrong. Generally you can use crappy headphones as long as you have adjusted to them and know what good recordings should sound like on them. When I'm on the move, I regularly use 10€ in-ears, but I have adjusted to their frequency & amplituded response so that works just fine. I generally base most of my crucial remastering decisions (EQ, speed) on hard science rather than my (subjective) sense of hearing, so my ears are mostly used for "double checking". I use my eyes at least as much as my ears for audio cleanup, because I always deal with spectrograms.

I only recommended using speakers for that very specific example, as tape wow effects are more perceptible in a listening environment with room reverb. Your ears pick up the direct signal from the speaker mixed with room reverb (it becomes "wet"), and the wow & flutter introduces interference artifacts that your brain decodes to "hey, something is wrong with this sound". If you use headphones, your ears pick up "dry" sound and it has to rely on pitch variation alone to detect the issue.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes