View Single Post
Old 2005-04-16, 05:11 PM

Re: dvdr trading formats/standards discussion ?

re: programs modifying various files.

I think the main problem here is "how" you are instructing the program to burn the dvd. Most dvd software will allow you to make a "data" disc and a "dvd-video" disc. What people dont understand is that a "dvd-video" disc is STILL a "data" disc, it just conforms to a specific naming/directory scheme. All the files in the VIDEO_TS directory have to be the right format and properly named, etc.

I *believe* the UDF format is the native format for dvds. I *believe* the UDF format is just some additional info on top of an ISO-9660 format. I *believe* CONSUMER decks wont recognize a dvd unless it has the additonal UDF data. (i could be wrong though, i need to check these or someone who knows please correct me, and provide a link to the details so we can all get learned ).

Personally i use nero (when im not using linux) and i DONT choose the dvd-video option when burning. I use the DVD-ROM UDF/ISO hybrid option and burn the files IN THE PROPER DVD FORMAT and i have no trouble watching them on my computer and others have told me they have no problems on consumer decks. I also only have to burn one disc as the archive is also watchable. it also doesnt touch the files. why should it, if it did nobody would use it. Would you want some program twiddling the bits on your data discs ?

Now if you use the "dvd-video" option who knows what it might do because the watchability of the video is the point in that case, not the integrity of the "data".

NOW, to confuse things even more, If you are "authoring" a dvd (from the files you downloaded) with the software then it assumes you are creating the disc from scratch and ALL bets are off for an exact copy at that point.

hope that makes sense and i didnt screw anything up, please correct me if i did.

So, yeah we definitely need to put together some info on this and explain the options and results to people, especially how to get an exact copy.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes