View Single Post
Old 2010-03-05, 08:03 PM

Re: PLEASE HELP!!! oop VHS tapes > iMAC transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Stallion DVDs View Post
On a related note...since you're transferring OOP VHS tapes of live shows - there's a very good chance that someone has already transferred these shows because early on in this hobby (all of five years ago or so), OOP VHS tapes were a very common source for DVD projects. It's not the case anymore because pretty much all of them have been transferred.
That very well could be Stallion. However:

-Tragically Hip's Heksenketel can't be found by torrent anywhere (by me). It is available through RApidshare if I $hell out for membership. No doubt there are HipHeads who have done it

-I've never seen pete townshend's deep end on any torrent sites and that is a gig that is begging to be released by Atlantic (especially when you consider that the cd release was missing a good chunk of songs on the video) and one would think that it would make some money. My copy turned out most excellent

-I got Oingo Boingo's "Farewell" video (released on dvd but now oop...amazon wants 90 bucks) on a torrent but the idiot had horribly compressed it into mp4 and the quality was crap. What a waste. I don't have any version, vhs or otherwise, of this gig (aside from the aforementioned compressh!t)

-Never really looked for the '82 Who gig though there is an 81 Rockpalast dvd that is great (the Dead played the same show, same night)

-Never looked for that Peppers show either. The performance is not all that anyway imo (maybe I'm just not a big fan)

-Will probably transfer a Sting Soul Cages concert that is oop. Not sure if that is available by torrents or file shares but any vid with Vinnie Caliauta is worth a watch or two.

You could be right, they could have been done already but I must consider a couple of things:

a) Someone may have done a poor job, especially if it was done when the technology was new and people were just learning to use this stuff.
b) Some people may have compressed and shared it in, say, vcd format, which obviously compromises the quality (akin to mp3'ing an audio show)
c) It does me no good if someone did a fantastic transfer for themselves only. I mean, obviously the sharing of oop material on the www is a "grey" area; some sites don't allow it (like this one) and some individuals who may have transferred it aren't necessarily comfortable with torrenting it or file swapping it or whatever form of electronic sharing is available. Point being, I still need to transfer it for myself. (Btw, that is what I am doing. I'm not necessarily doing this to release to the public...maybe a few close friends/family.) though I'd much rather have someone else do the transfer and then sit back and download or trade for them

I suppose Direct Connect Hubs might be a possibility for these but I stopped using DC a few years ago after I got virused-out and switched to mac. I actually kinda miss DC though. I got some really fantastic hard-to-find live music vcd's from DC hubs back then
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes