View Single Post
Old 2008-08-25, 01:00 PM

Re: mp3/lossless question for audiophiles...

hi folks! long been a member here, but I don't think I've ever posted in a forum - so hi.

Seems like this is the site to ask this question: I am a creator of ROIOs, and am working on a certain very large project that due to its very nature requires that I use some mp3-sourced files. I don't like it, but it has to happen (with full disclosure, etc, and not something that could be posted here anyway). So, I have in my possession some flac files that were mp3-sourced (which is probably why I can't find them lossless either). Is there any way, outside of getting a PhD, of figuring out what bitrate of mp3 they came from? The only way I know of comparing them is to "earball" them.

I have no plans to down-sample them, as of course that would compound the problem, just annotate that they are lossy. But if you have a lossy "lossless" file, is there a way anyone knows of to find out if it came from a 64 kps or a 320 kps? I would love it if there were a TLH type application that could just tell me.

Please no rants about lossy files - I know, and I agree. However, in this instance, it's unavoidable. PM me if you're interested in what the project is....
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes