View Single Post
Old 2010-02-24, 01:26 PM
TTD Staff

Re: VHS Transfers & Quality [moved from the Van Halen Largo thread]

its apparent that you skirt the factual parts of the discussion and instead like to stear it back to the subjective, your opinion

but by gones, i'll address them anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabkisscrue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
1. no where on Sony's site does it say that this camera employs a TBC or any sort of DNR filters
Well, its unfortunate you didnt find that out in your research.
It should be pretty well documented.
But it does in fact employ tbc/dnr. Its in the menu.
"unfortunate i couldn't find it" and "should be pretty well documented"???? thats your response, really?!

well a Flip MinoHD shoots just as good a picture as the Sony EX3...and i've got a 2ft cock, which my woman will even confirm

FACTS my man, FACTS--specs, manufacturing documentation, etc...but even if it does have TBC/DNR, it still doesn't address the fact a dedicated TBC/DNR/ProcAmp that are *manually controllable* will provide far better results

Quote:
Quote:
so it seems there's no TBC used in the JVC DRM100 SA recorder, but it does use some sort of DNR
I agree with Lordsmurf but not with your cynical assessment "some sort of dnr".
nothing cynical about, i meant that it employs DNR filtering whose specifics are unknown [which Senor Smurf pointed out also]

Quote:
Quote:
so we're left with absolutely no TBC in your transferring chain
The svhs has a tbc. I see the one show you have uploaded that it appears you transferred from a vhs tape was done on an ag1980. Not a professional deck, I may add. But it does have a good line tbc. Although image wise, I prefer the 9800 over the AG1980. I even posted that on videohelp.
my apologies, yer JVC HRS-9800U SVHS deck does employ TBC...its the other 2 devices that don't

again with personal attacks & trying to demean others in order to skirt the issues!

as for the "one show i've u/led from a VHS transfer" -- yer research skills re: what people have u/led are lacking to say the least! but neither the # of shows i've u/led nor whether you *think* the AG1980P was a "professional deck" or not matters very little

[i guess a $2K SVHS desktop editor labeled "Pro Line" & used primarily in broadcast & production houses isn't a "pro deck" in yer estimation ...and btw, the TBC on the ADVC300 blows the built-in TBC on the 1980P away -- again, built-in can rarely compete with a dedicated hardware TBC]

what matters is image quality -- and when it comes to a particular VHS tape sometimes my Panasonic will better, sometimes another make/model like yer JVC will do better -- lots of factors, and its never a constant...which is why its best to have numerous decks available, and if you don't its best to have someone else with a different deck transfer for comparison...i myself have considered picking up that JVC deck you have as an extra option

i have transferred a number of tapes that i'm pretty sure would have done better on a different deck, but i didn't spend the time and i ended up with a product that coulda been better...some i'm planning on re-transferring, others i don't have the original tapes for...because of my choice to simply stick with the gear thats in front of me at the moment, and not try transferring on other decks, its now like Tupac said, "That's just the way it is"

Quote:
Quote:
meanwhile, you could've bought a *brand new* entry-level A>D converter, such as the ADVC300, for less $ than two used pieces of equipment you've listed above [according to the average used prices you've quoted]...the ADVC300 definitively utilizes both TBC and DNR, will generate SMPTE color bars [necessary for color correction], and most importantly all parameters are manually adjustable by the user = a better quality capture
Until you mentioned this to me in PM I didnt know what this was, I thought it was a Canopus and that same model Canopus doesnt contain a tbc/dnr, from what ive heard/read.
[/quote]

it was made by Canopus, which was then bought by Green Valley...back when you first came to this site you tried to tell me in a thread about transferring that the ADVC300 didn't have TBC...i even posted a link to the manufacturer's site then, but here it is again:
http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc300

is it the best out there? no...would a full frame 4:2:2 TBC give better results a lot of the time? sure...but from the A>D devices i've used and those that my associates have used that employ TBC & DNR, i can honestly say its the best unit out there in the <$2K range [its currently running around $375 New]

would i be pleased with yer DVD recorders built DNR & TBC? some of the times yeah, and others no...yer missin the fucking point!!! its about being able to control your DNR filter's various parameters versus as opposed to an automatic filter that does what it thinks is best...i'm sorry, but the hands-on approach wins every time