View Single Post
Old 2010-02-23, 04:07 PM
TTD Staff

Re: VHS Transfers & Quality [moved from the Van Halen Largo thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by awolfoutwest View Post

I can sense you video professionals cringing I cannot afford pro-grade equipment, and have concentrated on doing the best I can with the gear I have. I have done my share of botching the video stream, and have hopefully learned enough to avoid future mishaps. I am always trying to improve my capture process, and usually include a split-screen clip showing raw capture vs processed video. I take the "Occam's Razor" approach to video processing - the simplest strategy is the best. Capture, process once, encode once, author, release...
i hope i didn't come off as saying, "either buy the best gear available or don't transfer it at all", cuz thats not what i'm saying...my set up is by no means top-of-the-line, but delivers the best quality results while in our budget...if an analgue recording needs something more in order to get the best outta it, i'll shop it out to a large production house that has the high end gear

in my opinion, the important thing is that you a) don't pretend to know it all, b) are "always trying to improve yer capturing process", and c) are always willing to learn...no bullshit, no holier-than-thou attitude

attributes i find in most of the film/video professionals i've met in taping/trading circles, but rarely in yer amateur "basement authorers"...they're way is the best, stamp my name all over it, artwork please can i get a seeder????