View Single Post
Old 2006-10-26, 04:32 AM
Cozmik Soul Lover

Re: Db Poweramp & APE

I use Db for ripping, transcoding (lossless to lossless, making lossy versions for friend's ipods), Deflating to WAV before editing or remastering with Wavelab, Cubase, or Nuendo... everything really. I also use the player to listen to my collection because it supports nearly every codec, has an intuitive interface, allows sorting by every tag item, and uses less system resources than say WinAmp or whatever. It is only missing some good visualizations to be damn near perfect. I don't use the cd burner, though. Since the program is modular, you don't have to use all the pieces. Sometimes I use the SVETA program to load an ipod or mp3 player as well... (it does all the conversions automatically)

Anyway, I don't wanna sound like a commercial for Db. I got into Spoon's Illustrate stuff early on and have found him and his crew to be thoughtful, responsive, and efficient. I have never had any problem with any of my rips. And you can adjust the settings to slow it down and ensure accuracy if your disc is questionable. Though, it is the drive that determines whether a certain scratched disc can be ripped well. Just use the checksums if you're worried.

Most of my ripping comes from traded shows I want in my computer or shows that I have burnt to get off my computer that I need to send to a friend or fellow taper online. Of course filling the portable hard drive player or my old minidisc usually involves some ripping as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggrd
My tags make sense to me as your tags make sense to you. I think people who use them have preferences that may not be universal.
I wasn't talking about tags being ridiculous, but filenames. (tags are tags - either they are filled out or not) this format of for example bhic20060726d1t12.shn is painfully weak. What is wrong with {artist} - {album} - {track #} - {title}.shn or whatever? I mean ISO and UDP both support fairly long filenames...

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes