View Single Post
Old 2009-04-19, 10:18 AM

Re: Our domains have been stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenephew View Post
RE: The domain theft.
When I checked the Whois database it doesn't show any evidence that any privileges for this domain have been transferred. It appears the client status including the name, address and e-mail haven't changed so it's not clear to me how the rights or authority do not rest with parties listed. I realize it's possible to temporarily "steal" anything from a financial identity to a parking space. But it isn't clear to me how or why any third-party is able to provide a more convincing case (for ownership) then the owners listed.
As a point of information it might be helpful to know how the system is flawed and/or why the safeguards are so lax. Simply put, it isn't clear to me that ownership was transferred so I don't understand how someone is able to hold your site hostage while all proof of ownership (care-custody-control) rests with "you".
You've missed a few things. The info you seek is posted in plain sight here in the forum. It'll help you understand.
Yes, I seem to have only found enough info to be surprised. That is, I did read: "Someone hacked into my godaddy account last night and stole our ttd domains. ...However, I am now dealing with godaddy to get our domains back."
So, I wrote "I realize it's possible to temporarily "steal" anything from a financial identity to a parking space. But it isn't clear to me how or why any third-party is able to provide a more convincing case (for ownership) then the owners listed."
See, I understand every domain is at risk for temporary tampering-theft. But contrary to the belief that "Possession is 99% of the law", establishing proof of ownership means that domain theft is 'domain borrowing' at best. I have to show "proof" with every transaction...
So yes, I would be surprised if I lacked the means to prove (convince) my host or registrar that I can meet the test of "ownership".
Face it, if stealing domains and holding them hostage for ransom was easy? There are domains that are worth more than a few thousand bucks.
Yes, vandalism isn't too tough but I suggest someone think through making a buck by asking ransom for a domain they don't own...That scheme would fold like Sears tent in less than 24 hours.
But I do own a bridge in New York if anyone is interested?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes