View Single Post
Old 2005-12-27, 10:19 PM

Re: uTorrent 1.3 & DHT ?

Thanks for the response Five.
Here is a copy/paste from Dime where µTorrent is mentioned.

Attention Azureus 2.3.x.x and µTorrent 1.2.1.x users:

Azureus has introduced DHT (Distributed Hash Table) technology to its client starting with version 2.3.x.x. µTorrent follows this scheme starting with version 1.2.1.x. Using DHT will harm your DIME share ratio and violates our tracker rules as we can't take care of banned torrents terminating timely. Thus, torrents which are not DHT-safe (all torrents uploaded before May 13, 2005, 15:00 GMT) may not be used with these clients. Users known to use these clients will not be able to download a DHT-unsafe torrent, announcements of these clients for such torrents will not be accepted by the trackers. If you want to download/leech/seed a DHT-unsafe torrent, do the following:

-- Install a different client (i.e., BitTornado, ABC) or a version of Azureus prior to 2.3.x.x resp. µTorrent prior to 1.2.1.x.
-- Start any torrent with this client and wait for the client to do its first announcement. Stop the torrent.
-- Download the .torrent file you want to have and run it.
-- Restart all other of your torrents.

Wed 21st Dec, 2005

(00:01 GMT) For several reasons all clients of the BitComet/BitLord/BitSpirit families will not be allowed for usage with the DIME trackers anymore. Starting on December 24, 2005 announcement of BitComet/BitLord/BitSpirit clients will be rejected by DIME trackers. Starting on January 31, 2006 users with BitComet/BitLord/BitSpirit clients as their "last used client" will not be able to download any .torrent file from DIME. Such users will have to close the old account and open a new one to be able to download .torrent files again!

Sorry for the bad news, folks, but the developers of these clients choose to not respect private trackers (like DIME). Now, every private tracker will never more respect clients of the BitComet/BitLord/BitSpriti families. Go and get yourself a new client (µTorrent?).

So, if I am reading this correctly, it seems torrents posted before 5/31/05 can not be downloaded with µTorrent.
It also appears too me that the news posting on 12/21/05 Dime comes close to recomending µTorrent (last sentence).

I think I may just shut it off and see what happens - a little trial and error never hurts I suppose.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes