View Single Post
Old 2005-11-16, 04:20 PM

Re: what's the absolute best way to transfer mini dv to my pc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastepic
To be honest, this is as good a way to go as any - the conversion the standalone will give you should be every bit as good-probably better - than any software encoding done later. You could then transfer the DVD onto your PC and edit it if you so wished.
I'm no expert on digital to digital conversion of video, but on principal I don't think this is true. I know when I transfer Analog > HD via my Canopus capture device, it takes about 12 Gigs per Hour of video. Then I have to compress that to get it on to dvd (which takes hours of encoding time, on a pretty fast computer). I know I've done comparisions between the same video source transfered to a standalone unit vs. the same video source transfered to HD and comped to DVD size. The HD transfer looked MUCH better. I would have to imagine the standalone player would have to encode and compress on the fly even though we are talking about a digital to digital conversion as well, unlike a good computer interface.

All I can really say, is I wish more people had the Canopus Twin100 for conversions....too bad they cost more than most people are willing to spend.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes