View Single Post
Old 2004-12-16, 05:02 PM
What'cha Got There?

Re: DVD Out Of Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzweb
I've got an APEX DVD player/VCR, and the thing works great.

As for your problem, did you check your download against MD5s or anything?
MD5?,...what's that?
Seriously, this was grabbed from EZT...with no MD5 supplied (no surprise), however I doubt there's a problem with the authenticity of the download itself, just that someone used "lazy" standards. If the file was messed up I don't think it would do much more than burp in any program.

Raindawg - you're right on my comparision,...my point is, how many times have you read a posting on a torrent site (EZT, STG) discussing:
"I can't get this to burn properly!! I get an error message!"
Answer: "Just use Nero, and if it tells you the disc is out of compliance just ignore the warning and burn it...works on my player."

My point is that there seems to be differences in these "standards", which I"m guessing are something akin to PAL vs NTSC (well, not really literal, but just saying that different world regions have different standards).
Interestingly, I just read an article in a magazine talking about the revised Nero 6.6 Ultra Edition: "Nero 6.6,....., now offers the option of setting the "book type" for certain kinds of media. Also known as "bit-setting," setting the book type to DVD-ROM may increase compatibility with certain set-top DVD players. Even if it doesn't work with your DVD player, this feature certainly doesn't hurt."

Now, does this mean that DVD's have "red book or orange book" style standards, or are they actually referring to a regional type code?

In any case,...once the weekend hits and I have a bit more time I think I'll be looking into what standards are on doom9 or videohelp..or somewhere else. I hadn't thought of re-encoding with DVD Shrink so thanks for that suggestion.

feralicious - sorry for babbling that may have confused you...as far as I know Apex players play DVD's like any other standalone. I was referring to WinDVD on my computer(s) that you can set to file mode and point it to the individual vobs.

U2Lynne - I wasn't pointing at you about the Apex player idea,...LOTS of people basically recommend them as the "tank that goes (plays) where others won't" It's a good idea as far as I'm concerned if you don't have a dedicated home theater computer.

Finally, sorry for the combined reply...I'm about like RainDawg with keeping busy and it seemed a bit stupid to do 4 or 5 replies one after another.

I thank you for your inputs!